Top 10 Free Online Free Competitor Analysis Tools in 2023
In today’s digital age, businesses of all sizes and industries are turning to the internet to reach and connect with their target audience. As more and more companies establish an online presence, competition is becoming increasingly fierce. In such a world, keeping an eye on competitors has become the foremost point. To stand out among competitors, it is always important to perform better than competitors. One way to stay ahead of the game is by conducting a competitor analysis.
Competitor analysis is a process of researching and analyzing the strengths and weaknesses of your competitors in order to gain a better understanding of the marketplace. By identifying areas where your competitors excel and areas where they fall short, you can develop a strategic plan that positions your business for success. Fortunately, there are a number of free online competitor analysis tools available that can help you conduct this research.
A competitor analysis tool is a software or platform that helps businesses and organizations to gather and analyze data on their competitors. It can be used to track competitors’ website traffic, search engine rankings, social media presence, advertising campaigns, and other online activities. The goal of competitor analysis is to understand the strengths and weaknesses of competitors, identify market trends, and develop effective strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
Why Competitor Analysis is Important?
Competitor analysis is crucial because it helps you to understand your competition. It helps you to identify your competitor’s strengths and weaknesses and develop strategies to gain a competitive advantage. Conducting competitor analysis helps to understand the market research and industry trends. You can identify areas that are lacking and improve your products and services accordingly.
By comparing your company with competitors, you can determine areas where you need to improve, and what you’re doing better. you can identify potential threats to your business and take the necessary measures to protect your market share. It becomes extremely important to develop a competitive advantage by staying ahead of the competition in terms of product innovation, customer service, and overall marketing.
It’s important to note that competitor analysis is an ongoing process and should be regularly updated to stay relevant. By utilizing free online competitor analysis tools, businesses can gain valuable insights into the marketplace and make data-driven decisions to improve their online presence and ultimately drive more revenue. That’s why we’ve compiled a list of the best free online competitor analysis tools available. By using them, you can gain valuable insights into your competitors’ strategies and identify areas where you can improve your own.
Crayon Intel Free
Talkwalker Free Social Search
|Best For||Analyzing competitor’s online advertising strategies|
AdSpyder is a competitor Analysis Tool to Spy on your competitor’s ads. It is an intelligence tool that helps in analyzing how the competitors are trending, understanding from where the audience bounced back and getting all the analytical insights of your competitor’s advertising strategies. Adwords competitor analysis helps you discover the best keywords that your competitors are using, so you can benefit from them. The insights help in innovating the marketing plans and implementing them accordingly to achieve a better conversion rate, secure new leads, and boost sales.
1. Facebook Ads Spy
2. Google Ads Spy
3. Youtube Ads Spy
4. Instagram Ads Spy
5. Yahoo Ads spy
6. Bing Ads Spy
7. Shopping Ads Spy
- Advanced Analytics and reports
- Best for spying on competitor’s ads
- Learning resources are available
- 10 million+ ad copies
- Ads spy on social media sites
- Free trial is available
- Excellent live chat support
- Beginners need to give the effort to utilize the full potential of the tool
|Deployment||SaaS/Web/Cloud, Mobile(Android, iOS)|
|Best For||Analyzing competitor’s top keywords, backlinks, and more|
SEMrush is a free competitor analysis tool that is often used to find competitors’ relevant keywords and learn about search engine rankings, such as search volume and cost per click. SEMrush can be used to observe your competitors’ top organic and paid keywords, backlinks, and other important factors.
Keywords are the most important weapon one can use to compete. With proper keywords, you can make a sharp rise in the audience reach of their business. SEMrush is the tool where you can easily know about the top-ranking keywords. You can even get the backlinks of various top-ranking resources.
Within one dashboard, various information about the site can be collected. It can even help you in finding the problems hindering the growth of their website. It displays a detailed analysis of the organic domains where the article is searched. It even allows you to have an analysis of the anchor links, landing page, and other minute details of the website.
Apart from keywords, it even offers SEO, SMM, content marketing, PR, and campaign management. It is one of the most widely used free online competitor analysis tools which is costless.
SEMrush Free Features:
1. Keyword Research
2. Content Creation and Distribution
3. Competitor Analysis
4. Content Marketing
5. Local SEO
6. On-page SEO
7. PPC Keyword Research
8. Rank Tracking
9. Social Media Management
10. Competitor PR Monitoring
11. Competitor SEO Analysis
12. Content Optimization
13. Link Building
14. Content Marketing Analytics
15. Market Analysis
16. Website Monetization
- 23 billion keyword access
- Free account to utilize limited features
- In-depth website audit
- Easy-to-use interface
- Integration with web analytics tools
- Help Center articles to learn
- Pricing is little bit higher
- Limited support
|Best For||Viewing and tracking trending topics and top performing searches over time|
Google Trend is a free competitor analyis tool offered by Google that helps you to analyze the popularity and search volume of specific keywords, phrases, or topics over a period of time. It provides valuable insights into the current trends and patterns of user behavior and search queries. This data can be used for competitor analysis.
This tool allows you to see how popular a certain product, brand, or keyword is, and how its popularity has changed over time. It provides data on related search terms, which can give insight into the broader market and competition for a specific product or keyword. With this data, you can make informed decisions about your marketing strategies and stay ahead of the competition.
Features of Google Trends
- Displays related topics and queries that give you insight into what topics and keywords are popular in the industry.
- Provides data on search interest by region so that enables you to see which areas have the highest demand for your products or services.
- It helps you to stay updated on current events and emerging trends in the industry.
- Gives data on the frequency of searches for specific keywords or phrases.
- Help to understand the popularity of your products or services compared to your competitors.
- Provides a graphical representation of the popularity of a specific search term over time.
- Free to use
- Previous year data
- Help Center articles to learn
- Shows real-time top searches
- Explore tab to compare two search terms
- Easy to share reports
- Difficult to get customer support
|Best For||Competitor websites and mobile apps traffic data analysis|
SimilarWeb is a tool for analyzing website traffic and engagement data of competitors. Companies like Walmart, Adobe, and Pepsico trust SimilarWeb for their analysis. It provides insights into website ranking, audience demographics, sources of traffic, and more. You can even compare your website’s performance to your competitors and track your progress.
It provides data on mobile and desktop usage, geographical location of website visitors, and top referring websites. This data can help you optimize your online marketing efforts, improve your website’s user experience, and attract more visitors. Additionally, it can be used to identify potential new competitors and keep an eye on their growth and development.
Features of Similar Web
- Helps you to identify new competitors and track their growth and development in the industry.
- Tracks the performance of competitor websites and allows you to see how your competitors are growing or declining.
- Shows how competitors are performing on mobile devices, including the number of visits from mobile devices and engagement metrics.
- Provides information on the demographics of a website’s visitors, including age, gender, and location.
- Displays the top websites that send traffic to the website, including search engines, social media platforms, and other websites.
- Shows a comparison of website traffic between businesses.
- Intuitive interface
- Knowledge Center
- Keyword database of 5 Billion+
- Easy to use
- Free trial is available
- Live customer support
- Limited insights into third-party websites
- The functionality to Compare Social Media trends is missing
|Best For||Fast analysis of competitor’s website – duplicate content, broken links, internal page rank, redirections and more|
Siteliner is a website analysis tool for competitor analysis. It analyzes websites to identify common issues, such as broken links, duplicate content, and page load speed. It also compares websites to show which site is stronger in terms of technical optimization and content. This provides valuable insights to improve your online presence and outdo competitors.
Siteliner’s website comparison feature allows you to see which websites have the strongest backlinks and which ones have the highest page ranking. This provides valuable insight into what is working for your competitors. It also gives suggestions for improvement and optimization to help you stay ahead of the competition.
Features of Siteliner
- Shows instances of duplicate content on your website and competitor websites.
- Allows you to compare your website with competitor websites and see the strengths and weaknesses of each.
- Identifies which keywords your competitor is optimizing for, to adjust your strategy accordingly.
- Shows the number and quality of backlinks pointing to your competitor websites.
- Analyzes the social media presence of your website and competitor websites.
- Shows the technical optimization of your website to understand the technical strengths and weaknesses.
- Free to use for websites up to 250 webpages
- The user guide is available
- Provides site report
- Creates XML sitemap
- Robust crawler to analyze the site
- Poor user interface
- Poor customer support
|Best For||Keeping track of competitors’ social content success|
Buzzsumo is a competitor analysis tool that helps you to track your competitors’ online presence and engagement. It provides insights into popular content, backlinks, influencer outreach, and social media performance. It helps you to stay ahead of the competition by providing valuable data on competitor activity.
It is trusted by companies like Hubspot, TechRadar, and Coschedule. Buzzsumo also offers a feature for monitoring brand mentions and mentions of specific keywords. This allows you to keep track of what is being said about the brand and competitors online. This information can be used to inform content creation and marketing strategies. It also helps you to react quickly to negative comments and mentions.
Features of Buzzsumo
- It Identifies the most popular content formats used by your competitors and analyzes their success.
- Monitor mentions of your brand and competitor brands, including sentiment analysis.
- It helps to see the backlinks that drive traffic to competitor websites and compare your own.
- Discover who your competitors are reaching out to and what content they are promoting.
- Monitor competitors’ most popular content, such as topics, types, and authors.
- Helps to Keep track of specific keywords, including competitor names and industry-related terms.
- Learning resources
- Free plan is available
- API Access
- Intuitive interface
- Chrome extension is available
- Help Center articles
- Limited number of searches are allowed in the free plan
- Some users reported that it lags sometimes
Crayon Intel Free
|Best For||Monitor your competitor’s digital activity and receive email notifications about any updates|
Many things don’t fall within the reach of your business. However, they affect your business and its growth. Crayon Intel Free can help you in tracking such details. It can help you in getting the details about the strategy and content of competitors.
Along with strategies, you can keep a track of every type of content posted by competitors. You can even gain ideas by keeping a record of various popular and inspirational brands. The daily insights feature which you can easily get on your mail makes the task easy.
You can even have an eye on the five most powerful tools required for the marketing of content. The data is available in a chronological manner which helps you in tracking the changes in competitors’ moves. It is an intelligence tool that can be beneficial in planning proper marketing strategies. In addition to this, you can even figure out the steps and decisions taken by the competitors. You can easily monitor and maintain records of many companies.
Crayon Intel Free Features:
1. Feed about the marketing practices of competitors
2. Provides insights from different sources
3. Provides feeds according to company type
4. Easily sharable and exportable data
- Integration with Hubspot, Salesforce, and Freshsales
- Live chat support
- AI-driven analysis
- 50+ page slide templates
- Battlecard creation
- industry-specific articles not picked up by AI
Talkwalker Free Social Search
|Best For||Competitor’s social media monitoring|
Social media is again a powerful instrument. It is even helpful in getting you clients from across the globe. With Talkwalker’s Free Social Search, one can have a look at the strategies used by competitors during the campaign.
It provides detailed data about your live audience. In your marketing or business, you can use it to generate the social friendliness of their strategies and campaigns. The performance of campaigns can even be analyzed properly. It even uses special AI tools by which you can analyze the demand of the audience. With this tool, you can create strategies and content which have the potential to go viral. It even targets hashtags which add an extra edge to posts and social media content.
It even generates data about the competitor’s audience. It is a search engine associated with social media where you can search unlimitedly about your business. It is used for checking the reach of posts and campaigns on social media. The data generated is real and free of cost.
Talkwalker’s Free Social Search Features :
1. Free toolkit for successful marketing
2. Proper insights on highly engaging posts
3. Filtering the social brands for the company
4. Proper SEO Analysis
5. Keyword Research & Monitoring
- 150 million+ data sources worldwide
- Advanced analytics and reporting
- Visually appealing charts
- Flexible dashboard
- Sentiment analysis in 29 languages
|Best For||Competitor’s PPC keywords research and SEO strategies|
Spyfu is a free competitor analysis tool that is perfect for outperforming the competition. The name of this tool itself suggests that you would be spying on your competitor’s secret keywords. It can help you in gaining knowledge about the SEO strategies used by competitors. It is the tool that can help you in getting a maximums audience in a campaign.
Apart from the top-ranking keywords, one can even have a look at the ads and revenue generated from those keywords. It helps in conducting proper domain research. Various campaigns on various social media platforms can even be monitored thoroughly. The most important feature of this tool is the recommendations provided by it. Yes, it provides recommendations that can help one in gaining more click rate.
It contains a proper database of nearly 13 years of search analysis of popular search engines. The keywords are even divided specifically depending on whether they are organic or paid. With this tool, you can gain a lot of advantages related to SEO and PPC.
1. In-Depth Reports on SEO
2. Keyword Searches
3. Organic Keywords
4. Unlimited research on Backlinks
5. Backlinks Searches
- Excellent support
- SERP ranking tracking
- Video tutorials
- Kombat feature for comparison
- Interactive and easy-to-use interface
- Competitors paid campaign tracking
- Keyword ranking history
- Custom reporting
- Spending on advertising is not always accurate
|Best For||Identifying competitor’s website technology|
Additionally, it has the ability to track any modifications in the competitor’s website stack or technology and promptly notify the user. Using this feature, you can keep track of your competitors’ changes, including tariffs, promotions, and offers. Wappalyzer competitor analysis tool also has a simple browser extension that can be added to any web browser.
Wappalyzer Features :
- Offline Access
- Access to CMS of competitor’s website
- Real-Time Analytics
- API Access Management
- API Access
- Easy integration with CMS
- Browser extension is available
- Live chat support
- Documentation and articles
- 50 Free monthly lookups
- It doesn’t compare the version of the technology used.
Competitor analysis is a crucial part of any business strategy. We have compiled a list of the best free competitor analysis tools that are available. From AdSpyder, SEMrush, Crayon, SpyFu, and Wappalyzer, these tools offer valuable insights into your competitors’ strategies and identify areas where you can improve your own. However, it’s important to keep in mind that these tools offer limited data and features, for a more comprehensive analysis, it might be worth considering a paid option. Regardless of the tool you choose, regular competitor analysis will help you stay ahead of the competition and make data-driven decisions to improve your business.
What are the best free competitor analysis tools?
Some of the best free competitor analysis tools include:
- Crayon Intel Free
- Talkwalker Free Social Search
What features should one consider while choosing a free online competitor analysis tool?
When choosing a free online competitor analysis tool, there are several features that should be considered including keyword research, website analytics, backlink analysis, social media analysis, user-friendly interface, and more.
How do I spot my competitors?
Competitors refer to the people and brands working in your niche. You need to find out those brands and people with their content. Some of the online competitor analysis tools even help you in spotting your competitors.
How much should I use these online competitor analysis tools?
You can use these tools as much as you want. But generally, after 2 months of analysis, you can gain enough information to work accordingly.
What parameters should I analyze while doing competitor research?
You should analyze your presence in search engines. You can do this by analyzing keywords, traffic sources, and backlinks. SEO, PPC, and SEM are the most important parameters you should focus on.
Are there any limitations to using free competitor analysis tools?
While free competitor analysis tools can provide valuable insights, they often have limitations such as:
- Limited access to data and features compared to paid versions of the tool.
- Limited historical data, can make it difficult to track changes over time.
- Limited ability to export data or integrate with other tools.
- Inaccurate data for some websites, especially for smaller sites or niche industries.
How often should I use competitor analysis tools to track my competitors?
The frequency of your competitor analysis will depend on your business and industry. In general, it’s a good idea to check in on your competitors regularly, such as every month or quarter, to stay up-to-date on their activities and identify any changes in their strategies.